Friday, December 2, 2011

NomNom: Egg-in-a-Hole Grilled Cheese Sandwich

I'm not a morning person by any means. I'm the person who's mumbling, "5 more minutes" as the snooze button gets hit repeatedly or who's grumpy if I haven't had my cup of coffee. I know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day but when I weigh the options of eating/making breakfast vs. sleeping in, sleeping in always wins. Always. But then there are those days when I'm off from work (I don't have a conventional work schedule) where I can sleep in and wake up whenever my body tells me to get up and this is when breakfast becomes major.

Can I tell you how much I love runny eggs? When I was younger, my mom would make my eggs sunny side up and on the rare occasions she would overcook the yolk part and thus, no runny eggs. So I refused to eat it. Yes, I was that kid. Whenever I see a recipe involving runny eggs, I'm all over it. Have you tried it on a pizza? A steak? Oh my goodness it is DELICIOUS. I've made egg-in-a hole before but I didn't think to make a grilled cheese sandwich out of it until I came across A Cozy Kitchen's recipe. Like duh, right?

Sometimes the most simplest recipes are the best. To me, this is the perfect grilled cheese sandwich because it includes everything I love (melted cheese and runny eggs) and the saltiness of the prosciutto adds the perfect balance. One thing to note when making this, is to choose a cheese that's a bit bland such as cheddar or provolone otherwise it will taste too salty because of the prosciutto.

The weekend is here so do yourself a favor and treat yourself to this easy, delicious sandwich for breakfast, lunch, or even dinner. Have a great weekend.

Recipe (adapted from acozykitchen.com)
2 slices bread of choice (I used wheat)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
2 large eggs
1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Salt
Pepper
3 slices prosciutto

Procedure
1. Using a biscuit or cookie cutter, cut a 2-inch hole from the center of both slices of bread. Melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. When it’s melted, add the two slices of bread. Let the bread lightly toast for a minute, or until lightly golden brown, and then flip the two slices over. Dab the remaining butter in the middle of the bread circles. We want to ensure the egg doesn’t stick.
2. Crack the eggs into the holes and season with salt and pepper. If you’re using prosciutto, chill with the salt. Just add a little.
3. Cover the pan for a minute, just until the egg whites are sorta set. Next, add the grated cheese to one half and cover for another minute, or until the cheese is practically melted.
4. Using a spatula, gently top the cheese slice with the egg slice. Cook for one more minute, or until the cheese is melted.


4 comments:

  1. this sounds amazing. i also love grilled cheese and runny eggs! thank you for blowing my mind.
    -Stephie
    thriftandstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful recipe. I bookmarked it for later. Thanks for sharing with us.

    Mariz
    Get Best Info for Marble Falls SEO

    ReplyDelete